President’s Message January 2020
Happy New Year!
I hope you are as excited as I am for 2020! At WBE Canada we managed to squeeze in a long overdue two week vacation and we’re recharged and ready to roll. Whether you were able to enjoy some time off or had to work through the Holidays, I hope this new year heralds new opportunities to launch ideas – even a fresh approach, a renewed focus and maybe even a shift in direction. No matter how you begin 2020 we hope it all leads to your success.
WBE Canada had an amazing 2019, capping off a decade of growth and leadership but we are definitely not dwelling on the past. Right after our 10th Anniversary Conference we jumped into planning for 2020 and we are very excited about what’s coming up this year.
WBE Canada 2020 Events
We’re finalizing the details around these events, but to help you plan ahead, block off the following in your calendar:
- March 5, Toronto – Breakfast with BrandsTM: Financial Industry (open to Certified WBEs and Corporate Members) – Registration open
- March 26, Windsor – Breakfast with BrandsTM: Automotive Industry (open to Certified WBEs and Corporate Buyers) – Registration open
- May 14, Toronto – Breakfast with BrandsTM: Tech Industry (open to Certified WBEs and Corporate Buyers)
- May 27, Vancouver –
- November 18-19, Toronto – 11th Annual Conference
WBE Canada 2020 Training – Buyers
This year WBE Canada is excited to announce the development of training and resources for corporate and government buyers. Our goal is to support implementation and growth of supplier diversity programs.
- March 5, Toronto – Lunch & Learn: How To Start With Supplier Diversity (open to all Corporate & Government Buyers & Leaders interested in developing a program) – Registration open
- May 4-5, Toronto – ProcureCon Canada 2020 – Registration open
- May 14, Toronto – Lunch & Learn: Corporate Member Development (Closed door event open to all WBE Canada Corporate Members, topic to be confirmed)
- May 27, Vancouver – Lunch & Learn: How To Start With Supplier Diversity (SDAC event – in partnership with CGLCC, CAMSC & IWSCC)
WBE Canada 2020 Training – Suppliers
In the upcoming year we want to expand our support of women-owned businesses. We will continue our core programs – Open Office Calls (to help you learn the latest information), Newly Certified WBE Orientation (to help new WBEs kick start their journey through supplier diversity programs), Meet the Buyer (information from buyers to suppliers on what and how they buy) and training webinars (to support business growth and expansion).
- January 8, online – Open Office Call: Leveraging WBE Certification in 2020 (open to public)
- January 30, online – A Path To New Markets: Export Knowledge, Working Capital, and Insurance (by EDC) – open to all Certified WBEs
- February 12, online – Newly Certified WBE Orientation (open to all Certified WBEs)
WBE Canada 2020 Projects
Each year we tackle a couple of key initiatives to ensure that WBE Canada moves forward. In 2018 we implemented our new database, in 2019 we updated training and benefits for WBEs and introduced two new events (WBE 2 WBE Matchmaker, Trade Show). In 2020 we are looking at the following:
- French translation of WBECanada.ca website
- Tools For Growth Member area for Certified WBEs and corporate/government buyers
- Canadian Women BrandTM initiative
Partner With Us
WBE Canada Team is eager to support women entrepreneurship in Canada and beyond. To do so we rely on partnerships with our Corporate Members, Sponsors, Partners and volunteers. Help us bring supplier diversity to new heights in Canada through one of the following:
- Sponsor our events or projects
- Share your success story to inspire others
- Share your expertise or knowhow with our community
- Partner with us
- Become a volunteer
- Find out more opportunities to get involved with WBE Canada
I hope that you will find our events, programs and resources valuable.
I’ll be looking forward to connecting with you in 2020.
President, WBE Canada